It all starts from the wash day; if you wash your precious curls the right way and give them their needs, your hair will look charming and last for a long time until the next wash.
Specifically, when we talk about curly hair, it needs special caring because of its dry nature. We have to think about moisturizing the hair and keeping the curls definition without frizzy; many tasks, right?
Okay, all the mentioned tasks can be done if we know how to wash our hair properly, choose products suited to hair nature, and try different techniques to maintain that spiral curl.
How to wash curly hair step-by-step
You can find many wash routines on the internet, get confused because of their number, and wonder which one will give you the wanted results. To solve this problem, here are the essential steps for curly hair washing.
In addition to some tips, you can try them and choose what suits your hair to create your hair routine.
Choose your hair products smartly
To do this step perfectly, we should know the rules that we have to follow to choose our products.
First, determine your hair type, hair porosity, and hair state by asking yourself some questions like, is your hair chemically processed or colored? Is it heat damaged? Is it high porosity or low?.. Etc.
That information will be like a guide to know what works for your hair; while this can change from one person to another, it will narrow down the possibilities when choosing products to reach your needs faster.
After the first step, you should look for bad and harsh ingredients that dry your hair out and avoid them; sulfate and dry alcohol are the most drying and harsh ingredients for curly hair; make sure that your products don’t contain them.
Clean your hair
Healthy hair starts from a healthy and clean scalp; you can do this step by using sulfate-free shampoo or co-wash; if you have kinky or tight curls and dry scalp so co-wash will be essential, but if your curls are loose and your scalp is more tend to be oily it’s better to rely on shampoo. Regardless of your choice, here are the steps you should follow in cleaning your hair perfectly:
- Sock your hair well with water
- Apply some shampoo or co-wash on your scalp
- Massage your scalp with your fingertips; this step is very important, especially in the case of using co-wash.
- Don’t make a circular motion; focus only on your scalp.
- Rinse your hair well with water.
Conditioner is your curls’ best friend
Dryness is a part of curly hair nature; you can’t get rid of it without moisturizing your hair perfectly using the conditioner that suits your curls. Despite the importance of using conditioner but some curly girl make mistakes which results in unwanted look, to avoid them follow those steps:
- Put the conditioner on soaking wet hair after cleaning it; water will help in hydration.
- Start with a small amount and apply it away from your roots. Otherwise, your hair will lose volume and become more likely to be oily.
- If you think that your hair needs more hydration, use the squish to condish technique.
- Rinse your hair well with water.
Styling curly hair after shower
Styling the hair will help maintain the curl’s definition and spiral look for a longer time. This step responsible for the final appearance of your hair, do not underestimate it. Those steps are optional; you can choose from them what suits your hair.
- Apply leave-in on wet hair; it can help in reducing frizzy hair.
- Apply gel to hold your curls, or use musses for more volume (you can try them both with each other).
- Try LOC or LCO methods to lock in the moisture (those methods are great for damaged hair and high porosity hair).
- Try different styling techniques, like scrunching, praying hands, or finger coil for more definition.
- Plop your hair to absorb excess water.
- Diffuse your hair to get more volume and definition.
How often should you wash curly hair?
In general, you can wash your curls one to two times a week for curly hair and once a week for coily and kinky hair, while wavy hair should wash it two to three times per week. You can change that depending on your hair nature, but it is not recommended to wash the curly hair more than twice a week because excessive washing will increase the hair dryness and thus ruin it.
Is it necessary to wash my curly hair after a workout?
It depends on your hair state after the workout; if you think that your hair is oily and greasy, go ahead and take a shower.
Keep in mind that it is not recommended to use shampoo daily because it will dehydrate your curls; it’s better to rely on lightweight co-wash and shampoo once or twice a week.
Is it fine to wash my curly hair with only water?
Yes, it is fine to wash your curly hair with water only, but like every method, this one may not good for everyone; you can try and find out how it works with your hair, but make sure that the water you use in hair washing is soft water, rather than hard water which will cause build-up on your hair. Before starting to use water only to wash your hair, clarify it to remove all build-up, and don’t forget to massage your scalp every wash.
Is it good to use dry shampoo for curly hair?
Yes, you can use dry shampoo on your curly hair, but make sure to use it on dry hair only when your scalp is oily; this will help to absorb excess water. Apply it just on your roots, and don’t overuse it to avoid dehydrated hair.